1. By the time you get to New York, I _______for London.
A) would be leaving B) am leaving
C) have already left D) shall have left
2. The article suggests that when a person _______ under unusual stress he should be especially careful to have a well-balanced diet.
A) is B) were
C) be D) was
3. The lawyer advised him to drop the _______, since he stands little chance to win.
A) event B) incident
C) case D) affair
4. Sometimes children have trouble _______fact from fiction and may believe that such things actually exist.
A) to separateB) separating
C) for separating D) of separating
5. He is quite sure that it's ________ impossible for him to fulfill the task within two days.
A) absolutelyB) exclusively
C) fully D) roughly
6. There was a big hole in the road which ________ the traffic.
A) set back B) stood back
C) held up D) kept down
7. Many a delegate was in favor of his proposal that a special committee _______ to investigate the incident.
A) were set upB) was set up
C) be set up D) set up
8. In the Chinese household, grandparents and other relatives play ________ roles in raising children.
A) incapableB) indispensable
C) insensible D) infinite
9. Eye contact is important because wrong contact may create a communication ________.
A) tragedyB) vacuum
C) question D) barrier
10. There was such a long line at the exhibition ________ we had to wait for about half an hour.
A) asB) that
C) so D) hence
11. There is no _______ to the house from the main road.
A) accessB) avenue
C) exposureD) edge
12. ________ energy under the earth must be released in one form or another, for example, an earthquake.
A) AccumulatedB) Gathered
C) Assembled D) Collected
13. He wasn't appointed chairman of the committee, ________ not very popular with all its members.
A) to be consideredB) considering
C) being considered D)having considered
14. The twentieth century has witnessed an enormous worldwide political, economic and cultural
A) traditionB) transportation
C) transmission D) transformation
15. The ________ stuck on the envelope says "By Air".
A) diagramB) label
C) signal D) mark
16. Mobile telecommunications ________ is expected to double in Shanghai this year as a result of a contract signed between the two companies.
A) capacityB) potential
C) possession D) impact
17. Reading ________ the lines, I would say that the Government is more worried than they will admit.
A) behindB) between
C) along D) among
18. My brother's plans are very ________; he wants to master English, French and Spanish before
he is sixteen.
A) arbitraryB) aggressive
C) ambitious D) abundant
19. Things might have been much worse if the mother _______ on her right to keep the baby.
A) has been insisting
B) had insisted
C) would insist
20. The statistical figures in that report are not ________.
You should not refer to them.
A) accurateB) fixed
C) delicate D) rigid
1-5 DACBA 6-10 CCBDB 11-15 AACDB 16-20CBCBA